Saturday, March 7, 2009

Chick Days are here again.

Well Im back, finally got my computer back after a 2 month wait. I can see how easy it is to get hooked on modern times.

Looks like I made it through the winter with little damage, but I will have alot of spring clean up and some minor repairs fixing fences. If you dont like snow this is not the place to live, but if you can hang in through those snowy days the summers are great its a beautiful time to be outdoors.

Its that time of year people are thinking of raising there own chickens especially with the high cost of eggs and meat, who cares if PETA says we should eat only veggies we were not created to be rabbits. So today lets write something on the start up of a small chicken farm.

The best breed for you, depends on your reason for having chickens-for meat or eggs or both. For eggs the best layers, average between 250 and 280 eggs per year.

My favorite are the Buff Orpingtons and the Jersey Giant both lay large brown eggs, although I believe the color of the egg doesnt make it taste any better.

Now meat breeds some of the best are cornish cross,which are good tasten up to 5# in about 8 weeks.So come in to my store when you are ready and I should have the first shipment of chicks in 1 week or come in and pre order what you want on the day you like to have em. Then I can answer any other questions you might have, if I dont have the answer I will find I for you I guarantee it.



No comments: